Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Mark38

I am new her. Hello!!

5 posts in this topic

Hello, I'm Mark and am new here. I've been going to a gym for a few months, I'm just finding my way in there. I know what I want to achieve, I've been researching online but I just have some questions.

Go ahead and post your questions Mark

Hi,

Thanks. I asked my question in the other section and got a response.

Actually I could post it here as well. It would be good to get a second opinion. I am new to weight training, well new since I was 16 about 22 years ago, and I have a few questions;

1. Do any of the big four weight training exercises; Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift and Shoulder Press work the biceps or abs and core?

2. Is it ok to do all four of the big four each time I go to the gym, 2 or 3 times a week?

3. I'm working to build strength, in order to do this is 3 sets of 5 reps sufficient?

4. Should I keep the weight the same in each rep or increase each time?  

On 10/10/2017 at 0:17 PM, Mark38 said:

Actually I could post it here as well. It would be good to get a second opinion. I am new to weight training, well new since I was 16 about 22 years ago, and I have a few questions;

1. Do any of the big four weight training exercises; Squats, Bench Press, Deadlift and Shoulder Press work the biceps or abs and core?

2. Is it ok to do all four of the big four each time I go to the gym, 2 or 3 times a week?

3. I'm working to build strength, in order to do this is 3 sets of 5 reps sufficient?

4. Should I keep the weight the same in each rep or increase each time?  

1. deadlift will workout biceps a little bit but not specifically. and they will all work your core

2. i would not recommend doing all of those in the same day because the next day you go to workout you will be sore (also recommending getting in the gym at least 4 days a week)

3. 3 sets of 5 could be good however with low rep ranges you should increase the number of sets. for 5 reps i would say to use the classic 5 sets of 5 routine.

4. when i do 5x5 i will start with 1-2 warmup sets, and then i may gradually increase the weight every other set (you should be able to complete the 5 reps but as you start progressing in sets, it should become more and more difficult)

hope this helps