Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Ryan

Weights And Cardio

19 posts in this topic

Does anyone do weights and cardio in the same workout? I am trying to lose weight and build muscle, should I do the cardio first and then weights or do them on seperate days?

Yes. Ideally you should do them on separate days but this may be too knackering, so I would do the cardio first if your aiming to lose fat, but if your main goal is to build muscle do weights first.

You need to do both if your aiming to lose fat. Do your Cardio in the morning if you can or on a seperate day. Also watch your diet.

Do your cardio last or on a seperate day, though you can get a way with doing it straight after weights.

Do your cardio last or on a seperate day, though you can get a way with doing it straight after weights.

Core would you reccomend interval training after the weights, like i do like 12-15 misn of interval trainign to get th ebest of the aerobic and anaerobic worlds.. is this a good idea or not?

Core would you reccomend interval training after the weights, like i do like 12-15 misn of interval trainign to get th ebest of the aerobic and anaerobic worlds.. is this a good idea or not?

I cant see why you cant as long you dont over train so its best to cut your weights workout down.

I cant see why you cant as long you dont over train so its best to cut your weights workout down.

Well i have read interval training does give an anaerobic workout which weights do.. and raises metabolism for a few hours after. Cos i did find that when i cut cardio out completely i felt really unfit.

The original poster is syaing cutting fat as well as gaining muscle, i mean for days of weigths would you reccomend loading up on carbs for the workout.. and then days off/cardio days watching the carbs?

Well i have read interval training does give an anaerobic workout which weights do.. and raises metabolism for a few hours after. Cos i did find that when i cut cardio out completely i felt really unfit.

The original poster is syaing cutting fat as well as gaining muscle, i mean for days of weigths would you reccomend loading up on carbs for the workout.. and then days off/cardio days watching the carbs?

hiit and weights use EPOC to burn carbs so do them on seperate days,and fuell up before,once your heartrate goes above 135bpm you are in the carb burning zone so if you dont have any carbs you will use up muscle.

if you have to do weights and cardio together do ss-cardio after weights for about 20mins.

You mean steady state cardio? by ss cardio?

You mean steady state cardio? by ss cardio?

correct yes,walking jogging etc.

correct yes,walking jogging etc.

i walk home anyway takes 10-15 mins

i call it my cool down/geting my head together lol

hiit and weights use EPOC to burn carbs so do them on seperate days,and fuell up before,once your heartrate goes above 135bpm you are in the carb burning zone so if you dont have any carbs you will use up muscle.

if you have to do weights and cardio together do ss-cardio after weights for about 20mins.

Not sure what you mean by using up muscle . Certainly muscle doesn't get used for energy during exercise , fats do though ....especially aerobic exercise like this.

Hi Gym

If you do a long workout or go for a long run you are in danger of depleating carbohydrate stores, both from the muscles and liver, fat cannot be used for energy in the absence of carbohydrates, instead your energy systems will break down muscle protien and use it for energy. :)

Not sure what you mean by using up muscle . Certainly muscle doesn't get used for energy during exercise , fats do though ....especially aerobic exercise like this.

as runswithdogs said once your body has ran out of carbs your body releases cortisol which uses muscle,its normaly after abouit 45mins depending on your conditioning and type of training your doing,here is a PDF on cortisol.

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.info/iB_ht...e_Breakdown.doc

So at what point after exercise do you start to convert the fat into energy? Is it a case of keeping the intensity very low or is fat only used by increasing your muscle size and therefore your metabolic rate?

I must admit, this is one of the things that I am really struggling to understand in regards to losing fat, the human body is far too complicated a piece of equipment for my limited brain capacity to understand :rolleyes:

So at what point after exercise do you start to convert the fat into energy? Is it a case of keeping the intensity very low or is fat only used by increasing your muscle size and therefore your metabolic rate?

I must admit, this is one of the things that I am really struggling to understand in regards to losing fat, the human body is far too complicated a piece of equipment for my limited brain capacity to understand :rolleyes:

if you lift weights or do HIIT,EPOC (oxygen-consumption) is increased which increases your metabolic-rate for approx 24hrs so you will burn fat after training has finished.

but you must take in fuel before both of these or you will use up muscle and slow down your metabolism.

ss-cardio (below 135bpm) will burn fat if you have no carbs in your system IE in the AM ,but as soon as you stop training your metabolic rate will drop approx an hour after training.

so ideally for fatloss

AM fasted ss-cardio

PM weights or HIIT-cardio

do both in the same day AM and PM

or weights or HIIT m,w,f, PM and ss-cardio m,t,w,th,f, AM

hope you understand that better. B) :D

Cheers Faz, much appreciated!!!

Thing about AM is after you done cardio your going to eat as normal anyways so it will all come back on, would'nt it be better to just do cardio after a meal instead? so you have fuel in your engine?

I understand the low intensity thing too, i think if ppl are goign to do this they shud go into it slowly. But doing this 135bpm will it get u fit?

Surely their is a way of getting proper fit as well as losing bodyfat?

Thing about AM is after you done cardio your going to eat as normal anyways so it will all come back on, would'nt it be better to just do cardio after a meal instead? so you have fuel in your engine?

I understand the low intensity thing too, i think if ppl are goign to do this they shud go into it slowly. But doing this 135bpm will it get u fit?

Surely their is a way of getting proper fit as well as losing bodyfat?

if you eat more than you use it doesnt matter when you train you will gain weight.

as far as fitness is concerned it depends on your goals general fitness then ss-cardio is fine,if you want to be as fit as you can get then ss-cardio+HIIT+weights.