Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

emilykay

Protein Shake Bloat - Is This Normal?

7 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I drank my first protein shake yesterday and it left me incredibly bloated for the whole day.

Today it also left me bloated, however it was not as immediately obvious as it was yesterday.

Is this normal? To bloat when you first start adding protein shakes to your diet? I'm really hoping that it is just an adjustment period and that my body will get used to it in a week or so.

Any advice would be massively appreciated - sat here feeling disgusting and bloated, I really don't want this to last forever!

I've worked really hard and last week I was SO happy to be able to see a flat toned belly with "baby abs" starting to appear... But now I'm left feeling a bloated mess and feel fatter than I have in ages because of this bloating. Ugh! sad.gif

Additional info - I don't know what is relevant!...

- the protein powder I'm using is MyProtein, Vegan Blend unflavoured. One shake made with 3/4 large scoop (50cc?). Taken about 20 mins after morning workout

- first time I just shook it up with almond milk. The second time I made a banana-almond milk smoothie and just stirred the powder in.

- 22 y/o vegan female

- workout 6 days a week - mix of resistance, weights and cardio

I would really really appreciate some advice - have any of you experienced this? Do you know how long it should take my body to adjust? Any tips would be very gratefully received!

Protein Shakes do often tend to bloat some people, it's just something that happens!

One cause for this is if you don't get enough fiber in your diet, and suddenly you're drinking a shake full of it, you're body reacts by bloating.

Try and pick a protein shake that has low carbohydrate levels, as these can also cause bloating.

Also, try not to make your shake incredibly frothy and try to drink it a little slower.

Hope this helps!

Hi there,

I drank my first protein shake yesterday and it left me incredibly bloated for the whole day.

Today it also left me bloated, however it was not as immediately obvious as it was yesterday.

Is this normal? To bloat when you first start adding protein shakes to your diet? I'm really hoping that it is just an adjustment period and that my body will get used to it in a week or so.

Any advice would be massively appreciated - sat here feeling disgusting and bloated, I really don't want this to last forever!

I've worked really hard and last week I was SO happy to be able to see a flat toned belly with "baby abs" starting to appear... But now I'm left feeling a bloated mess and feel fatter than I have in ages because of this bloating. Ugh! sad.gif

Additional info - I don't know what is relevant!...

- the protein powder I'm using is MyProtein, Vegan Blend unflavoured. One shake made with 3/4 large scoop (50cc?). Taken about 20 mins after morning workout

- first time I just shook it up with almond milk. The second time I made a banana-almond milk smoothie and just stirred the powder in.

- 22 y/o vegan female

- workout 6 days a week - mix of resistance, weights and cardio

I would really really appreciate some advice - have any of you experienced this? Do you know how long it should take my body to adjust? Any tips would be very gratefully received!

Bloating from a protein shake is not something that 'should' be happening, but it does happen. The most common reasons for it would be either an intolerance of some kind to the shake or something in the shake, if you try other brands you might find that another options sits better with you. Most people should switch their shakes up every so often anyway as, having the same one over and over can develop an intolerance but that doesn't sound the case here. I'm not vegan (though I do limit my proteins to eggs and fish) so I've never used a purely vegan protein shake myself, but from the Vegans I've worked with the one that gets the best feedback is sunwarrior. That doesn't mean it's ideal for you, but might be worth a try.

The other reason could be simply down to the filtration process. MyProtein are possibly the hardest company to find out anything about their factory processes so I've never been able to find out the filtration process they use. So just comparing to standard proteins, cheap options tend to be poorly filtered and therefore are harder to digest (and very little gets absorbed) that's why they are cheap. MyProtein generally has a good reputation, but I can't say anything on their creation processes for any particular product because I simply don't know. But if that is the reason, the answer would still be the same, try another brand and see if you have the same effects.

If you contact a few companies and ask for a sample sachet they will likely send you one so you don't need to buy a full tub or pack and then find out it doesn't sit well with you.

Hope that helps,

Mark.

Another option would be to not bother with protein shakes. I don't use them and can easily eat 170g of protein a day if I so wish to.

As a vegan, there are still plenty of protein options: beans, seeds, mushrooms, nuts, soya products.

Hello!

I have found a great vegan protein that is also gluten free so it is easy to digest and stops me from bloating after drinking it. I had the same problem with you when I first started having protein shakes after working out but now I use Arbonne protein powder in either chocolate or vanilla and it has worked wonders for me! 

If you would like some info on where you can order it from just let me know!

I felt the same , when I was using the protein shake for the first time but as we keep taking them regularly along with balanced diet then the problem is really vanishes.

It occurs when I consume a lot of supplements but only a few normal food. Increase the level of normal food and drink a lot of water.