Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Christy

Home body vs Gym rat

5 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

So I'm just looking for experiences.  I'm a mom of 2 boys, 40 years old.  About 5 years ago I decided that I needed to really make some changes in my health and fitness, so I joined a local gym and signed up for a personal trainer.  I saw my trainer avidly 3 times a week for a full year, and although I saw some changes in my physique, I did not get the results I expected, and I really didn't feel better, so I began slacking off.  I started finding excuses not to go - too tired, just ate, too busy, etc.  I never felt comfortable at the gym - I have issues with folks watching me workout (not that they were - but it's what I perceived).

3 years ago, I finally cancelled my gym membership and turned to at-home fitness and had amazing results.  I was working out daily instead of 3 times a week.  I was getting my workouts done, in my PJs most mornings, in 30 -45 minutes vs the hours at a time I was spending at the gym, and I started to feel more energized and better about myself - I think because I followed the nutrition plans on my programs too (I wasn't getting nutrition advice at the gym).  Anyway - I've been at it for 3 years now and feel fantastic.

It had me wondering - does anyone else have this same experience?  Anyone else do better at home, by themselves?  Find less excuses and so they're more consistent?  I was so skeptical when I started because I really felt like you had to join a gym or be in a class to get results and I have been shocked in proving myself wrong.

~Cheers, 
Super Curious Christy

transformation.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts Christy

As a fitness trainer I will make it very clear I do workouts at home or in a gym and I include nutritional advice

Keep it up

that's pretty inspirational. i have a home gym but i am a member at a local gym which is where i do the majority of my workouts. I on the other hand tend to make more excuses when I was working out at home, but being signed up at the gym i feel like i have to get in there to make it worth it. plus the atmosphere feeds my energy

Congrats on some big improvements!

It depends what you're after. I couldn't maintain my level of strength and muscle mass with home workouts alone, no matter how creative i got, but for someone who wants to drop some fat and improve muscle tone, it really will do the trick in most cases. 

Speaking as a personal trainer, I would say that the biggest obstacle for us is that we can't control what our clients do at home, we can just inform and influence their decisions as best we can (I have all my clients record their food intake for good reason :P). Your cancelling of your gym membership coincided with increased activity levels and greater attention to nutrition, which is where a large part of the results come from. 

I hope more and more people take a holistic approach like you did!

Well done on your transformation :)

Theo

Cool transformation! It was so frustrating when you worked so hard and nothing barely happened, but you kept fighting and you became stronger.