Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Mazza

Dieting - Where do I start?!

7 posts in this topic

Hi. 

This may seem an odd question but where do I start with diet and exercise? I am 43 years old and seriously need to eat healthy, diet and exercise but really don't have a clue how to start! I get out of breath at a drop of a hat and would class myself as obese. I am so unhappy, please help. 

I've literally just written a book about this particular subject...basically, what you want to do is start to eat healthier day by day...start off with making breakfast healthy, for example. From there move on to lunch and then dinner. 

Weight loss is all about calories in vs calories out. Burn more than you eat to lose weight, eat more than you burn to gain it. Those calories can come from Chinese takeaway or broccoli, but calories in vs calories out still applies.

I'd recommend choosing healthier foods, though, as they'll leave you feeling and look better, as well as leaving you fuller and energised for longer.

Exercise is great, too. Start small. Perhaps take a walk around the block before dinner, and then build from there (lengthen the walk or break into a run if comfortable). My main recommendation here is to find something you love doing because you'll stick to it that way.

You got this.

For me, the most important thing you need to understand is that what we all feel is healthy eating is constantly evolving. Even for the experts, those foods that are said to bring about the best health and longevity change, so please remember that this is just the start for you. It's all a process and you don't have to go in hard. Small changes, just as 'Newbie' has said, will help to begin with. Start with those and then the big changes will follow. 

So what's healthy? There are HUGE debates over this but the majority of people agree that it is a diet based around unprocessed foods and drinks, with few 'treats'. It also involved drinking plenty of water.

The best advice I can probably give you is to start looking at Instagram or blog sites. Look at vegan food in particular. You don't have to be vegan, don't worry, but the kind of food vegans generally eat is a good guide because it incorporates a lot of fruit and veg and it does so in creative, interesting and delicious ways. For example, my pre-workout breakfast today was a peanut butter and chocolate 'nice' cream (frozen banana, courgette, frozen blueberries, dates, raw cacao, 1tsp Meridian Peanut Butter and cashew milk) with my own homemade granola (LOTS of nuts, far less sugar than supermarket brands). My lunch was a sort of breakfast wrap - avocado, dairy free pesto, scrambled eggs, wilted spinach and a Quorn sausage. Obviously not vegan but inspired by a vegan breakfast burrito I saw where they used tofu instead of scrambled eggs. You could also look at Deliciously Ella, whose website features a LOT of recipes. Just watch out for the sweet recipes, as they use natural sugars but that's still sugar and must be used in moderation. 

The other advice is look at portion sizes, and I mention this AFTER I suggest looking at blogs, Instagram, etc because the portion sizes they show in photos are often insane. I remember a year ago, when I started trying to eat more healthily (again) and I was having a smoothie for lunch, then wailing to my poor husband that I was starving myself, only having a smoothie for lunch, and it was the only way I could lose weight! Actually, a smoothie is now something I consider a satisfying lunch. Why? Because previously, my portion sizes were far too big. My stomach needed to shrink down to the kind of portions your body needs, not the kind my head tells me I really want. It's quite upsetting at Christmas, when you can only eat half as much as you'd like, but that's the price we sometimes pay to be healthier! 

I promise you, the great thing about eating healthily today is the amount of options available to us. Gone are the days of dry rice crackers and salad. You could start your day with overnight oats or porridge or chia pudding or even a healthy dry-up (see the Deliciously Ella website). Salads have morphed into these beautiful bowls with a small amount of LOTS of ingredients with various flavours and textures so you don't feel cheated. If you work out regularly, you can even have protein pancakes! I made these last week - protein powder, a little wholegrain flour, egg, banana, milk, then dry fry. SO good. 

Hope that helps! 

On 2/17/2018 at 7:17 PM, Eipl said:

I think it's a good start with Apple Cider Vinegar (play the video) :rolleyes:

Hmm...I gave up on that video as soon as it said that ACV helps eliminate bruises because it eases inflammation. Bruises aren't caused by inflammation - they're caused by blood leaking under the skin! Utter tosh. Also must say I've suffered from acid reflux for years now and ACV absolutely did help - it made me feel so yucky it put me right off eating anything that might trigger it!! lol! I don't know anyone who has found it useful for acid reflux, unfortunately. It's one of those 'cures' people talk about a lot but doesn't seem to bear out under scrutiny.

I know lots of guys over 40 that managed to transform their bodies. You could do it too, just start very slowly, step by step.

I found an article that is easy to follow and to understand. It will help your cause a lot: 10 Commandments to Lose Weight Sustainaibly 

Some easy to follow tips:

1. eliminate sugars and especially table sugar

2. reduce the amount of complex carbs

3. reduce dairy products 

4. drink water

5. eliminate any other beverages and alcohol except water

6. walk 1 hour a day and listen to audio books or music at the same time

To make sure you’re getting all the nutrients you need on a vegan diet, it’s important to eat balanced meals that include a variety of healthy foods. For example, you’ll get protein and fiber from beans; leafy greens are great sources of vitamins A, C and K. Choose produce from all colors of the rainbow to get all the benefits. Red tomatoes have heart-healthy lycopene, blue blueberries have brain-boosting anthocyanins and orange sweet potatoes have lots of vitamin A to help keep eyes healthy. Looking for meal ideas? Try a simple well-balanced grain bowl: top brown rice, or quinoa, with beans and a mix of sautéed or roasted veggies.