Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Liv

Extreme pain in legs after exercise (NOT DOMS!)

4 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

This is my first post in this forum so hopefully this is the right place!

I'm 26 and I've always been super active, into loads of sports; tennis, cycling, running, hockey etc but for as long as I can remember I've suffered with an extremely annoying symptom after exercise which I just can't seem to understand and when I mention it to people no one knows what I'm talking about, so I was hoping someone on here might have experienced it too or perhaps has more ideas of the human body than myself!

After intense (ish) exercise, (for example cycling 20k in 40mins caused it the other day) I get extreme pain in my legs a few hours after working out. It's always only in my legs but it can last hours and keeps me up at night. I'm sure it isn't cramp because cramp doesn't last as long and this is so bad I can't concentrate on anything else. It's hard to describe but I guess it feels like my legs are about to drop off, like they are being squeezed super hard or something. It can occur in both or just one or it can move from one to the other and it doesn't always happen! This definitely isn't DOMS because it happens not long after exercise and often I feel fine the next day and I know exactly what DOMS feels like! Stretching and rubbing seems to make it worse although I always want to stretch or rub them because it feels better in the moment but on release absolutely kills. The only thing which I think might work is applying a cold spray on the area.

Has anyone ever experienced this before or might know what I'm talking about?

I'm not sure it has much affect on my life really because it does go away the next day but it does happen a lot and seeing as I exercise a lot and I'm training for a triathlon at the moment it really isn't ideal! It's just infuriating, makes me feel like if I push myself fitness wise I'm going to really pay for it.

Thank you!!

Have you researched Peripheral Arterial Disease with intermittent claudication? just a thought

Warm up well before you push your body.

HTH

Hi Liv,

I'm no expert  but it seems to me that although you're very young, you are doing way too much at once and your body is simply telling you that.

Your legs might need more time to warm up to the kind of work you do and maybe you are doing too much that work 'per session' when you do it.

You are dealing with muscles and tendons and joints, and you are doing some kind of damage to a combination of the three every time  you work out would be my first guess, and maybe if you carry on then the damage could develop into something more serious like a disease of the joints or tendons like Legitt suggested above.

If I were you I would cut all your distances and/or times in half for a month, and also warm up well as 'Legitt' above said.

If you do that and it still persists you might need to have your body examined by a doctor. I just think you're hitting it too hard though.

Hope that helps.

BJ

Hi Liv,

Muscle recovery can be a time consuming and really uncomfortable process at any fitness level.

I think you should try electronic muscle stimulator.  It can be used for any kind of general muscle discomfort (muscle soreness, aches and pain related to muscle disease). 

Also, stretching and massage can still help a lot with the soreness.