Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

LittlePenBigHeart

How long should it take?

4 posts in this topic

I've been working out (speed walking, jogging and strength training) every week for the last 3 weeks or so and I'm just wondering when I'm likely to start seeing any changes? I wouldn't normally be so eager but it's weird...since I started doing all this I look fatter and I can't work out why!! I'm not eating more than I was before. In fact, I'm not eating any different aside from having more fruit and veg in place of the carby stuff I had all over Christmas, when I also wasn't working out. Is it possible that the Christmas weight has only just hit my body???

Take tape measurements of your shoulders, chest, waist and hips. 

You can't rely on your own visual perception for interpreting change because you see yourself daily, and you will likely not see yourself as objectively you as you think you do. 

If you want a form of visual feedback, take monthly photos, we call these 'progress shots' and they're a great form of feedback. 

If you do this and you are not losing centimetres or looking better, simply increase your activity level or decrease your food intake and continue to track your results. 

Theo

IMO I would measure instead of weighing myself (especially if doing weight training as well) and as already said visual perception can me misleading, also think of you are consuming calories you need to be burning some off aswell

On 1/24/2018 at 10:41 AM, LittlePenBigHeart said:

I've been working out (speed walking, jogging and strength training) every week for the last 3 weeks or so and I'm just wondering when I'm likely to start seeing any changes? I wouldn't normally be so eager but it's weird...since I started doing all this I look fatter and I can't work out why!! I'm not eating more than I was before. In fact, I'm not eating any different aside from having more fruit and veg in place of the carby stuff I had all over Christmas, when I also wasn't working out. Is it possible that the Christmas weight has only just hit my body???

Adaptations to training usually take 3 weeks, but could be as long as 6 depending on what research you refer to. The most important thing to remember is to follow a structured training regime and follow the principles of training, such as progressive overload.