Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Captain_Caveman68

Rebranding an Existing Program

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I've googled this subject and it only gave me one relevant result so here goes

This will probably rattle a few cages but I'm going to ask it anyway

What is to stop someone taking an established and branded fitness program, restyling it slightly and then rebranding it as your own? After all nobody can put a copyright on how a person moves and let's face it, there's Boxercise, Box Fit, Box-It etc etc which are basically variations on the same thing. What are your thoughts?

Well, you will have to change things so it's not obviously the same system but with a very minor tweak. I would have a look at Bikram Yoga vs Hot Yoga to see the differences. Hot Yoga was set up because Bikram Yoga took too much in licensing fees. I don't know whether people who initially ran Hot Yoga classes then had to deal with lawsuits. Whether you win a lawsuit or not, it will still take your time and money (even if you get the money back).

If you're taking P90X and doing it in 80 days and calling it P80X you had better get a lawyer lined up. :D

On a personal level, I've taken tai chi and rebranded it as Mindful Motion using tai chi moves but focusing more on the mindfulness aspects of it. The difference is that tai chi is so well established as a generic movement style that I don't think anyone would successfully sue me.

9 hours ago, darrensurrey said:

Well, you will have to change things so it's not obviously the same system but with a very minor tweak. I would have a look at Bikram Yoga vs Hot Yoga to see the differences. Hot Yoga was set up because Bikram Yoga took too much in licensing fees. I don't know whether people who initially ran Hot Yoga classes then had to deal with lawsuits. Whether you win a lawsuit or not, it will still take your time and money (even if you get the money back).

If you're taking P90X and doing it in 80 days and calling it P80X you had better get a lawyer lined up. :D

On a personal level, I've taken tai chi and rebranded it as Mindful Motion using tai chi moves but focusing more on the mindfulness aspects of it. The difference is that tai chi is so well established as a generic movement style that I don't think anyone would successfully sue me.

Interesting points you've made there. The thing with what I have in mind can be named something completely different, it's more the teaching of it that I would need to rethink . . . I think 

You may need to speak to a lawyer. I would completely change the structure just to be safe, taking out any signature moves that define it as the system you're copying.

Are you plagiarising it?? Not enough detail.

I call a move what it is and perhaps where it comes from and then add my interpretation and then I may or may not call that combination something different.

On 5/10/2018 at 4:15 PM, Legitt said:

Are you plagiarising it?? Not enough detail.

I call a move what it is and perhaps where it comes from and then add my interpretation and then I may or may not call that combination something different.

Something to definitely think about. Currently working on renaming moves and then adding a little spin to them :)

I wonder if it would be plagiarism if I openly say it's based around an original idea, then it's not being passed off as my own original idea

Why don't you say what you're planning on copying/changing and describe the changes? It shouldn't be a problem unless you show us the detail. And if it's not a massive change then you're likely to be sued so posting on here will be the least of your problems. :ninja: