Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Botty Cakes

Botty's Journal

64 posts in this topic

Here are a couple of pics from the last show I did in 2002. They’re not very good ones but I’ll sort out some others and post them soon.

The training and dieting took it’s toll on me after that show and I decided to take a rest from any more competitions. :angry: On top of that some major events in my home life left me completely drained and I lost my focus (along with the will to live) for a couple of years. I was just going through the motions at the gym and was in a continuous bulking phase with my diet (i.e. eating junk and drinking far too much wine). At one stage I thought that I’d just give it all up and grow old disgracefully. :unsure:

Anyway – enough of the boring stuff….

Bots is back – and she’s gained quite a bit more muscle since these pics. In fact, although I wouldn’t recommend the training regime and diet that I had for the past couple of years, in some ways I feel that it has done me good. My muscle is denser now and I’m more symmetrical than before.

Judges comments from this show were “nice shape but could have been harder”.

What I think I’d done was focused more on my weight than my shape and I dieted down too far – to the point that I looked a bit stringy – but on the day of the show my legs were puffy – typically the next day they were nicely defined. :angry2: I’m not sure if that was because of taking in more water than I should have but that’s something I will need to experiment with in the coming months.

Anyway this is just to get my journal up and running.

My goals for now are to maintain the muscle mass that I have and work on my definition. I still need to bring my lats out a little more and work at getting definition in my calves. Then I need to diet down slowly and try to hold my fullness – especially in my abs. I’m aiming to lose 6kg initially and from there decide if I need to take it further.

I’m thinking about a competition in October but I may also just do a test run this year and prepare myself for next April.

…..Oh and I no longer have the blonde braids.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/da175hf/a...43a4re2&.src=ph

Ohh my lord BC you put me to shame.... :blink: Good luck with the dieting :D

HOT

Ohh my lord BC you put me to shame.... :D Good luck with the dieting :(

Thanks Fee. You can keep tabs on me through my journal. :lol:

I bet you're in fantastic shape yourself. Are you gonna post us some pics?

HOT

:blink:

Thanks for looking. :o

Hi looking good their, but i suppose as usual you will ignore my comment

i apologise for the comment.. but it seems like you and vase do have a hting going on so i shouldnt come otu with such outbursts! i apologise botty.

you're all great people

i apologise for the comment.. but it seems like you and vase do have a hting going on so i shouldnt come otu with such outbursts! i apologise botty.

I'm going to change my ID to "Mrs Jones". :blink:

Thanks for your comments Mul. I'm sorry - I don't mean to ever ignore you. Most of the time you seem to answer your own questions - you come across as a pretty smart guy. I apologise if I've made you feel in any way left out.

As for Vase well he's just sussed me out early and knows that flattery will get him everywhere - albeit in cyber land. :D

Hey Booty

Fantastic, good luck :)

I'm going to change my ID to "Mrs Jones". :)

Thanks for your comments Mul. I'm sorry - I don't mean to ever ignore you. Most of the time you seem to answer your own questions - you come across as a pretty smart guy. I apologise if I've made you feel in any way left out.

As for Vase well he's just sussed me out early and knows that flattery will get him everywhere - albeit in cyber land. :)

oh well i should maybe leave it open... but if you do disagree with anything 'Mrs. Jones' B) please feel free to talk about it :-) :)

oh well i should maybe leave it open... but if you do disagree with anything 'Mrs. Jones' :) please feel free to talk about it :-) :)

I hear ya Mul :)

Thanks Fee. You can keep tabs on me through my journal. :)

I bet you're in fantastic shape yourself. Are you gonna post us some pics?

:)

Thanks for looking. :)

Hiya I don't have muscle definition at all but yes i will post my workouts etc.. B) But you'll just have to remember im no body builder!!

Can't get your new pics up :(

I had better get my act together.

can't seem to access Bot Bot

the links not working bot.. maybe you can just attach them to the messages?

the links not working bot.. maybe you can just attach them to the messages?

Sorry everyone. Computers never seem to understand me.

I think it was because I had the privacy button checked. Try this link and let me know if it opens.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/da175hf/album?.dir=c8fare2

Now...have you heard the one about the accountant..... :lol:

Now...have you heard the one about the accountant..... :unsure:

which accountant would that be? :lol: i think u mean vase dont you.

the back looks good in those pics.. bodies good too.. just one thign you should maybe do is a get a great tan! thats what all the bodybuilders do it brings out all the definition etc which you have in the pics but not showing it off.

im glad you dont look like a man... if your confused bu this statement i will show you a picture of what i mean :lol:

which accountant would that be? :lol: i think u mean vase dont you.

the back looks good in those pics.. bodies good too.. just one thign you should maybe do is a get a great tan! thats what all the bodybuilders do it brings out all the definition etc which you have in the pics but not showing it off.

im glad you dont look like a man... if your confused bu this statement i will show you a picture of what i mean :lol:

Actually Mul, the tan that you see on body builders is a really sticky, messy paste that you plaster on before the shows. It's designed to be worn under stage lights and believe me it is awful stuff - not something you can wear any time.

Unfortunately I also have my mother's Irish complexion. :unsure:

Thanks for your comments though.

Also - the women bodybuilders who are like men don't get that way naturally. I'm a natural competitor and always will be.

Actually Mul, the tan that you see on body builders is a really sticky, messy paste that you plaster on before the shows. It's designed to be worn under stage lights and believe me it is awful stuff - not something you can wear any time.

Unfortunately I also have my mother's Irish complexion. :)

Thanks for your comments though.

Also - the women bodybuilders who are like men don't get that way naturally. I'm a natural competitor and always will be.

o h i didnt know it was sticky just suggesting anyway, i like irish complexion coem to think of it i like spanish, black, chinese, white, indian.. list goes on forever lol

Sorry everyone. Computers never seem to understand me.

I think it was because I had the privacy button checked. Try this link and let me know if it opens.

http://uk.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/da175hf/album?.dir=c8fare2

Now...have you heard the one about the accountant..... :)

Well for all the bleating on I do about diet etc - I've decided that as I'm thinking about another competition later in the year I should take the guess work out of my own daily diet and do some calculations. :)

I try to stick to a similar sort of diet all year round - but when I'm not dieting I don't like to make too many sacrifices and I try to take in a wider variety of foods.

Anyway - I've done a rough breakdown and I've come unstuck - so some help getting it in order would be appreciated.

Cardio session 7:00 - 8:00 a.m.

This usually consists of a run - be it, 4-5km hill climbs, a speed session or a steady 6-7km all on the treadmill - then either cycle/stepper/cross-trainer/rower

Meal 1 - 9:30

½ cup Rolled oats Cal 303

½ cup skimmed milk Cal 45

Protein Shake Cal 108

Protein (26g)

Total cal - Approx 456

Meal 2 - 12:30

Protein Shake Cal 108 (26g protein)

+ 3 oat cakes (130 cal / 20 g carb/4.8g fat)

Total cal approx - 240 cal

or

6 egg whites 1 yoke scrambled Approx 160 cal/25g protein

+ 3 rice cakes - 90 cal

Total cal approx - 250

or

250 g cottage cheese - 280 cal/29g protein

+ 3 oat cakes (130 cal / 20 g carb/4.8g fat) 130 cal

Total approx - 400 cal

Meal 3 - 2:30 p.m.

Chicken/Turkey/Mackerel/Salmon and veg or salad

Approx 450 cal

Meal 4 - 5:00 p.m.

Usually a protein bar - Approx 250 - 300 cal

Train - weights session or extra CV session

post workout recovery drink - 1/2 measure - 150 cal/protein approx 10 g/carb - 24g

Meal 5 - 8.00 p.m.

Same as meal 3 - Approx 450 cal

If I feel hungry when I wake or before bed I add a water based Protein Shake - Cal 108 (26g protein)

The timing of all the meals is not perfect - but it's about as good as I can get it Monday - Friday.

I have put this together as the first stage of a cutting diet - the comp. is on 27th October.

My concerns/problems are:

1. Am I taking in too many/too little calories?

2. I tend not to eat much rice/pasta/potato - so is my carb intake too low (I suspect it may be because I often get tired and a bit "spacey" when I'm dieting)?

3. With this as a starting point - once I stop losing the fat - where do I cut back?

4. I've calculated my BMR as 1450 cal per day ?

hi i just sat down fro revision then i remembered i hadnt answered to your message, it looks liek you will need a lot of calories for your work outs, as you work out twice a day!

Also i dont think the protein shake assuming its in water is a good idea, espescially 90 mins or more after a workout!whey protein is very quickly digested and if it has no where to go you know where it will end up lol.

id have it in a bit of milk, if i needed extra protein, and it digests slower which is more useful for your body, and less chance of turning to fat or used up as energy.

if i need extra protein during the day i will put the whey in some milk so it digests slower.

i will be doing a much more detailed report later on tonight, my pointers on this oen maybe wrong but its my accumulation of knowledge and what works for me.

BC

I’ve looked at your diet. Frequency is very good, possibly need to increase that to 7 or 8 meals closer to comp day.

I’d eat much sooner after your training – still not sure why you are doing so much CV and especially before weights, does not make sense to me (sorry if that sounds overly aggressive) because excessive levels of CV is associated with increases in the release of Cortisol (the stress hormone) which is a catabolic hormone leading to muscle loss and therefore less fullness/definition.

Sorry, back to the food. There is a window of opportunity which lasts up to 2 hours after exercise in which time your body will readily take the sugar you supply into your body and store it in the muscles and liver (as glycogen), exactly the place in which you have diminished it. However, the speed at which it is taken into the muscles and liver in drastically quicker with in 30 mins of exercise completion.

For days where you are training twice a day you should eat something with in 30 mins and try to make it a high sugar product. This is the only time I recommend the use of high sugar or processed foods. i.e. white bread and honey sandwich – this will move from the gut into the blood stream very quickly due to it’s high GI level, swelling the muscles that have just diminished their supply of sugar.

Do you no how to manipulate your water content in the 8 days leading up to the event?

If you don’t I have a sure fire way of ridding your self of that water and really leaning you out.

Also when looking at your training programme are you following any sort of periodisation/cycled model for your training – you really should be if not. You may need to go through a phase of bulking and weight gain to get the look you are really after (the ones the judges commented on).

How much do you weigh? (I know it’s not a question you would normally ask a lady but in this case I need to know to work out the number of calories you need)

What is your competition weight going to be? – Is there weight classes or is it done on height, as some are?

The post resistance training protein/carb mix is excellent and ideal.

I don’t give two hoots about whey protein, or any of the other supposedly structurally superior proteins.

Mul – do you know what whey is? I promise you it’s not really something you’d like to know about and probably would be amazed at how it became popularised by the supplement companies. Whey is just left over protein waste from the cheese making process. Back in the 70’s or 80’s the US had a big problem with ways in which to get rid of this waste product! In comes the supplement companies and a few tests that ‘prove it’s increased level of bio availability….’ I’ve been on before in another thread about the marketing men and how they spin out the evidence to match their needs. Needles to say waste disposal problem solved!

Try to increase your protein supply from natural sources, use protein supplements if you need to but don’t get to worked up about which is best. I would say though that the addition of BCAA’s with the carbs (which is what you are doing post resistance) is fantastic – don’t be afraid to use it in the morning too.

Any way enough ranting.

3 check points to finish:

1. Periodise your training

2. Reduce the amount of CV you do

3. Make sure at least 0.8g of protein per lb of body weight & get a minimum of 43% carbs (any lower and you will never progress, this is the level recommended by the National Strength & Conditioning Association as a minimum level for it’s coaches to recommend to athletes – you are definitely in that bracket with your level of training).

Let me know on your weight etc and I’ll tell you how many kcal’s I think you should be getting.

Good Luck

ARP

Mul – do you know what whey is?

ARP

yes its the most digestable protein their is available ideal for post workout recovery. But at other times unless in milk isnt as useful as it wont have much muscle to repair as it would post workout.

Whats the ideal post workout meal? ive been told a gram of dextrose monohydrate per kg after a workout is ideal?

BC sorry about my post ARP is the man, its just what i do works for me but probably wont work for you.

BC do you not remember how you got into shape before? as in the pics you posted in that comp u looked in good condition