Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Theo M. Whittington

Ask Me Anything

What was your question about (please answer)   43 members have voted

1. 1. What was your question about?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

There are lots of questions and so little time at the moment! I know I haven't contributed on the forum for a while now but I want to change that. I'm going to be concentrating on this thread so that I can at least help out a bit on here!

So it's like the name suggests, if you have a question about adding muscle, losing fat, getting ripped, getting stronger and other related topics then please do let me know your questions and I'll be with you as soon as I can.

So... Ask me anything!

Heya, Just wanted to ask what the best fitness routine is for a 22y/old female, height: 5'6 and weight: 7st 11.

Cheers,Bubz :)

Hi - I'm looking for some advice on whether I should be using supplements?

Approx 1 year ago I weighed 146kg and I'm now down to 118kg and I've just started the "Insanity" program and visit the gym 3 - 4 times a week. Lately I have started to feel a bit sluggish and quite tired and have been told I should be on some type of recovery drink? Whilst I dont have any problem doing this I am very concious what I put in my body and wouldnt want anything that will make me gain weight. Could you recomend a product or do you think I should just try and push through?

Thanks

Great idea to the thread. I'm new here so you're my first point of call.

I have been following a cardio & weights program to strip my body fat down (successfully lost 5% in 5 months) and am now in a very good place- muscles showing well (5'10" and 77kg). I should add, I play football and my goal when starting out was to be fitter than ever for the new season starting this September.

I now want to lose my last stubborn bit of stress-fat (lower abs below the belly button, naturally!) but at the same time keep my muscle. (I know bulking is going to be impossible on a calorie deficit and if I strip another 2% bf then my muscles will look like they've grown anyway!).

My question is around how I should split my workouts, not that my football season is near and pre-season has started.

I do a 50min work out every week day at lunch, and now play football/train on Monday and Wednesday evenings (and will be playing on Saturdays) so those two evening football sessions are messing up my routine of weights Monday, Wednesday and Friday.

Would it be too much to do cardio on every day except Friday?

Monday: Weights at lunch, Football in the evening

Tuesday: Cardio and abs

Wednesday: Weights at lunch and Football in the evening

Thursday Cardio and abs

Friday: Weights at lunch

Saturday: Football (if we have a game)

Sunday: rest

Seems like a lot, but I enjoy working out!

Any help is hugely appreciated.

Can you help me out I want to lose weight and become toned I'm female, 5ft7 and I weigh 10.3 stone and I hate it. I don't know how to create a diet plan or exercise plan and I'm extremely new to this fitness stuff so please help!

Hello Everyone!

Sorry for the delay! Busy would be an understatement this month lol

@Bubz,

You haven't really said what you want to get out of your fitness routine. If you can elaborate a little I'll be happy to help.

@Katie Van Dango

A recovery drink isn't essential to be quite honest with you but it can offer some benefits. A protein drink could benefit you by increasing your dietary protein intake and helping you recover faster. This also helps you keep your immune system up through tough training and can make you feel full too!

Casein shakes (Casein is a type of protein found in milk) is very good for making you full. I get a lot of my protein from www.myprotein.com/uk but www.bodybuildingwarehouse.com is also a good shout.

Don't get shakes with carbohydrates or fat added, to get the most for your money buy the products known as 'protein shakes' not 'recovery shakes'

There's a bit more about protein shakes and other products that are helpful for recovery (such as creatine etc) here

http://tmwfitness.wordpress.com/2012/11/28/a-beginners-guide-to-supplements-a-guide-to-not-wasting-your-money/

I hope this helps

@Ashvox

The idea you have set out there should be fine to be quite honest with you. It does largely come down to what you are training in your weights sessions and what intensity you are running at when you do cardio.

As a general rule, don't train legs with lots of sets the day before football. That's the only thing likely to negatively affect your performance. If the amount of training that you are doing starts to wear you down just reduce the amount you are doing for a short time to let yourself recover and then continue. I've attached a related article below that you might find helpful too :)

http://tmwfitness.wordpress.com/2013/01/11/which-training-split-is-best-for-me/

I hope this helps.

@Katie Louise

The basis of a good fat loss plan boiuls down to eating less, moving more and hitting the gym to maintain/increase your current muscle mass. I really can't give you an exercise plan without knowing more about you. It may be worth asking to have a plan designed for you by a trainer local to you. Bodybuilding.com also has some helpful routines that might help you.

http://tmwfitness.wordpress.com/2013/03/18/strength-training-for-the-ladies/

As for fat loss, you'll want to learn how to count calories if you do not already. Nearly every person I know who has lost and kept off a significant amount of weight has learnt this skill and it is something I require from every person who trains with me. Fat loss coaching is a lot like fitness coaching in that you do have to make adjustments every so often but to see results over the next month, you should drop your calorie intake to about 1500 calories/day and make an effort to eat protein rich foods. Making an effort to be more active will also serve you well.

I hope this helps

Thanks for your questions everyone.

Theo

There are lots of questions and so little time at the moment! I know I haven't contributed on the forum for a while now but I want to change that. I'm going to be concentrating on this thread so that I can at least help out a bit on here!

So it's like the name suggests, if you have a question about adding muscle, losing fat, getting ripped, getting stronger and other related topics then please do let me know your questions and I'll be with you as soon as I can.

So... Ask me anything!

Hey,

I want to cut my fat/loss ratio down, is the best way to do this just cardio?? This is me atm www.CBAWithTheGym.wordpress.com

Thank youuuu!!!

Hello new here.. looking forward to reading, sharing and learning.

Hi I'm new, looking forward to picking up tips from people and helping where I can.

Hi there!

I'm new and this thread got my attention as you may be able to help me on a few things? I would be very grateful for any help you could offer at all!

I have been counting calories and exercising this year and have so far lost 36lb and have found I am plateauing - I have worked out that my BMR x HBE choice 1.55 moderate to medium exercise, gives me a daily kcal need of 2700 kcal... I lowered that to 2000 kcal for weight loss and I burn off about 400 walking with my sons pushchair and a minimum of 400 either using my elliptical or going zumba every day (I wear a heart rate monitor). Now I have found that my weight is staying put and I have to work harder to get my heart rate into my training zones, so I feel I may be doing something wrong? Could I be eating too much? Too little?

My next question is about core strength, I have none, and I mean zero! Had a c section a year ago and I have done little to no core work as I find it impossible to make my tummy muscles work - I also have a bad back as a result of my core being so weak. I want to try and build strength back up in my abdomen but I am struggling as I cannot make my stomach muscles do sit-ups efficiently. Is there an exercise I can do that will help me build this up to a point where I can do more strenuous exercises?

My third and final question is, I have no muscle in my triceps and despite trying press-ups (I cannot even lower myself without falling on my face) and the bench lift things but with little success, I also can't do 'easy' ones on my knees as the pressure effects my arthritis severely and puts me out of exercise action for a few days! What tricep exercise can I do that could help to build strength so that I can't eventually start more strenuous ones such as press ups?

Any advice would be appreciated as I am really putting the effort in and the weaknesses I have are beginning to bother me.

Thank you :)

Hi Akehon!

Firstly well done on a substantial achievement!

As for your weight loss plateau, have you reassessed your calorie expenditure since losing the 36 lbs? Often times people will try to lose weight after correctly calculating their calorie expenditure, it works well initially but calorie expenditure reduces with weight loss. This means that after losing weight, their previous calorie intake that they used to lose the weight will no longer work. If you haven't reassessed then I suggest doing so, then creating a new deficit. Fat loss should then continue.

If you have calculated everything correctly then I suggest looking at your activity level, has it decreased recently? Factors such as bad weather, longer work hours or other commitments can cause us to move less sometimes. If your general activity decreases then your calorie expenditure will decrease. If this is the case, then you fat loss will likely stall. Making little efforts frequently to move more are often very helpful.

Occasionally, it is beneficial to increase calorie intake temporarily to allow our bodies to recover from the stress of dieting before losing more weight. This isn't usually a problem unless your body fat is below a point that most people would be more than happy with. More often than not, the answer is to eat a little less or move a little more. Frankly, whichever you find most convenient for you will do. Of course you can do both.

As for the core strength, I'm hesitant to suggest anything as you have back issues and I don't know what damage was done to your abdominal musculature when you had the C-section. You have to be careful to weigh the risks and the benefits of different exercises to ensure a beneficial outcome. I would suggest that crunches will be more productive and probably cause less back issues than sit ups will. Crunches and reverse crunches are staples in my programmes but if doing any exercise hurts your spine, stop it immediately. On a similar note, deadlifts performed properly have strengthened and rehabilitated more than a few backs but if performed improperly they can cause issues too. I really couldn't advise what you should do without relevant medical notes and working with you in person.

As for the triceps strengthening, again I would suggest using something that minimizes risk. Anything that hurts your joints, scrap it. If you have any weights or resistance bands then there may be better exercises for you that do not cause the same pressure to the joints. Pressure to the joints isn't necessarily bad but it does need to be controlled, as I'm not able to walk you through it in person, I would suggest something different.

I tend to visit these forums every 2 weeks or so, if you come back to me with the equipment you have available to you, I might be able to suggest an alternative. You can reach me on info@tmwfitness.co.uk in the meantime if you don't wish to wait lol.

I hope this helped

Theo

Hi Theo!

I'm quite new to this fitness stuff, i've just joined a functional gym and am really enjoying it, I also play badminton a couple of times a week. I've started to try and eat clean and healthy as well and cut down out take away's and processed food. basically my fitness goal is to improve my fitness levels reduce my body fat and maintain my muscle level. I've been told that having protein shakes and creatine will help me lean up faster, is this true? If so when and how much of the stuff should I take?

Thanks

Kev

Hi Theo and all the newbies on this thread :)

I am also new to the forum as I decided to join so I can get advice from like minded people on (as the websit says) fitness and lifestyle. Female, late 20's, 5 ft 6, 62kg (after loosing 10kg very slowly over a year and a bit but slowly slowly catchy monkey). My aims are the same as most on here in that I would like to reduce fat, maintaining muscle size (my quads are big enough thank you) and generally be as fit as I can be. I excersise quite a bit already and do a mixture of yoga, dancing, circuit training, milatry style bootcamp, gym and fencing.

My question today is if you had 90 minutes to spend at the gym and wanted to acheive what I wanted, what would you do? I feel Like I have gotten into a rut with my gym workouts and they arent as effective as they used to be.

Thank you :)

Hi guys,

I hope you're all well!

Kev,

You're definitely making improvements by the sound of it! There are two fairly basic principles which will help you a lot with your goals. The first is progressive overload, this basically means that you should work a little harder each time. This is a very simplistic overview (there are books upon books on periodization for the detailed stuff) but if you make it harder for yourself and achieve more in your chosen activity over time, then you are by definition, getting fitter. So .. basically, whatever you do, do it with heart. As for maintaining your muscle mass, you should lose fat at a moderate rate, generally no more than 1% of your body weight each week, and try to improve your strength in a few compound movements.

Protein intake definitely helps, more so with more intense exercise but it will always help with fat loss as it is a very filling nutrient that increases energy expenditure significantly more than either carbohydrates or fat. Shooting for 1 gram per pound of body weight is a good guide for athletes and recreational lifters who train hard, you might be able to get away with a little less than this, but if cost isn't too much of an issue I would suggest shooting for 1 gram per pound. (Note: If you have any form of kidney disease, then you shouldn't have high protein intakes, if you don't then it's absolutely fine though ;) )

Creatine assists more in strength and muscle development than fat loss, but it is a very good supplement that I recommend to all my male clients. It will almost certainly cause a slight increase in weight when you start taking it though, so don't be too concerned when it happens. It is water being held in the muscles (creatine acts a bit like a sponge in the muscles). Creatine won't noticeably affect fat loss either negatively or positively although it does help in muscle retention when you are using fat.

I suggest using 4-5g per day of creatine and supplementing your diet with shakes to bring your protein intake up to that 1 gram per pound measure. Creatine can be cycled, in my experience, it isn't really necessary but it won't hurt either. When... isn't really that important, I'd suggest getting some protein after training and at each meal. There's no magic time to take protein or creatine but after training and before sleeping appear to be good times for protein synthesis (Most people eat protein at these times anyway), don't down a shake and hit the gym hard though or you'll throw it up.

I hope this helps!

Naf08r,

If I had 90 minutes, I'd spend it finding out exactly what it was that you wanted. I think you're being a tad too general, you've done brilliantly so far and there is nothing wrong with a slower approach, results add up over time. You can walk further than you can sprint.

Losing fat is simple, you need to cut back food intake a bit or exercise a bit more. By the sounds of things, you've learned this already, it does get harder as you lose more though. To maintain your muscle, you should attempt to maintain your strength in a few compound exercises. This is a measurable and mostly effective way of maintaining muscle mass.

As for getting fitter, are your exercise classes progressive? If they are not, then this would be why your results have been stagnating. I train groups and I understand it can be hard making sure that the session is difficult enough for the more advanced trainees yet easy enough for the beginners. If you find all of your classes aren't as challenging as they used to be then you should find a way to make it more difficult, talk to your instructor or perhaps pick a tougher group. You don't have to progress in everything at once though, just make sure that at least once a week, you are truly challenged.

If you can tell me more about what you're after I might be able to give you a better idea of what I would suggest. What I typically do is split training time between weights and cardio, for beginners I often give them my general weight training programme to add strength and a little mass all over, then I cut back on the arm work and shoulder work, I don't tend to train the upper traps in women either, this is to help achieve a more feminine look. Women can get bulky over time if they work hard, even when they are dieting, The key is to put the mass onto the hips to accentuate curves, and to build small amounts of muscle on the rest of the body but cut back on the amount you do when you're satisfied with the shape improvements. If you're mentally scared of improving because you think you'll turn into the hulk, then this will likely stop you from having a good session.

Kind of a roundabout answer I know, .. I hope you can take something away from it though :)

Theo

Thank you for your response. I guess a lot of the problem is I am not entirely sure what I want to acheive and so am stuck in a rut as I don't know what I want to focus on. With the slow approach, it wasn't actually deliberate, I started exercising and eating better and the happy by-product is that I toned up and the grams dissapeared. I know that I dont really have too much fat to loose and so it will be difficult and need a whole approach including exercise and eating well.

The clasees I do are not progressive but they are the types of classes where you get out what you put in, the more advanced people can do more reps in the time limits and know the sligtly more difficult versions of the exercises (i.e raised tricep dips instead of normal ones). In both the circuits and bootcamp I do, you get shouted at far less by the instructor if you work hard which keeps you motivated. The Boot camp is actually a new class and is VERY challenging so I suppose that is my progressive change for a bit. The yoga isnt a class its something I do at home to streach out all my muscles. The dancing and fencing is something I do for fun and not for the fitness benefits they provide.

With regards to my gym sessions I seem to have been doing the same workout for a few months and my body has gotten used to it. An average gym session equals 5k run on a treadmill at a constant speed to warm up followed by the following core circuit x3 : 20 crunches, 20 leg raises, 20 v sits, 20 miltary sit ups, 20 glute bridges, 20 dorsal raises, 20 press ups (the lady version making sure the hips lower and not just the shoulders). I will then do a minute of cycling abs, 1 minute side planks, a normal plank held till I cant hold it any more, 50 squats using a 20kg core bag and 50 raised tricep dips. To finish off I will row 3k, practice my fencing footwork and then streach out.

So as you can see its a lot of body weight exercises and steady speed cardio. I know I should do more interval training and free wieghts but I have no idea where to start, what timings I should be using or if I should be doing low weight high reps or high weight low reps or even what weight exercises I should be doing. I am not too afraid of turning into the hulk as a lack of testosterone will prevent it form getting too bad but to be honest I am quite happy with my overal shape at the moment and dont want to get too mannish, I just want to be challenged a bit more. I know I will acheive that body I want (I.e the shape I am now but with a slight reduction in fat) over time and I am in no rush (I figure the longer it takes to aquire the easier it is to maintain). I think what I am after is some suggestions for interval training and free weights to do in the gym so my body is pushed a bit more and doesnt just go through the motions of the same old routine.

Thanks again for your help.

Nicky

Hello Nicky,

I would suggest looking at www.bodybuilding.com for a good exercise database and some good articles although you will have to learn as you go when doing free weights. If you can get advice and assistance from people at your gym, this may also be helpful. Learning weights is hands on, you learn by doing. Start with light weights, go over the movements, use a mirror for feedback or ask the opinion of a trainer or knowledgeable member.

As for intervals, it is limited by your creativity. Pick a different exercise, pick different timings, there are a vast number of drills you can do that will do the trick. I think you can have more fun with cardio in the great outdoors if I'm honest. You can run, cycle, row, squat, lunges, to a timer on your phone. Nothing to it but to do it.

I know it can be a tad intimidating but you should really just get in there, get started with free weights and intervals and definitely ask advice. You will almost never walk into a gym without there being someone who wants to impart their knowledge on others. Lol Trust me.

Theo

Hi Theo,

I have a friend, aged 28, weighing 25 stone with a height of 6ft4. He has just had a child and wants to improve his health and fitness. He has had issues with his knee in the past and so needs to strengthen that area first.

Any ideas on how he can begin this process and what type of nutrition and exercise he needs?

Many thanks,

Liam

hi im male 5ft 10in 117k ive just joined the gym and dont no where to start on a program, i would like to lose weight and get fitter.ive never been to the gym before so any ideas would be great

many thanks

graham77

Hi im new here looks like lots of good advice going on i did have a question but after reading the other posts i have my answers many thanks and hello everyone :)

Hi Liam,

You friend should go to the docs to determine what is wrong with his knee, I can't really recommend much on the training side of things until I know that he isn't going to be doing further damage by exercise.

Working around the knee is a good option to start with, and making sure all cardio is low impact. So rowing machine, cross trainer, exercise bikes etc are better choices than running where he would be putting more pressure through his knees. Often, bad knees are the product of years of poor mechanics and the pain can be reversed or reduced by learning proper mechanics when doing compound leg movements. However that would require proper coaching, and it is not always the case. Best to be cautious.

As for eating. Weight loss comes from eating less food in general and you can make sure that the majority of the weight that is lost is fat by maintaining a fairly high protein intake and utilizing weight training. Think vegetables and protein as the basis of meals. He can add in carbohydrate and fat sources in smaller amounts. At 350 lbs, the weight should fall off him once he reduces his calorie intake. A guide for now would be about 2700-3300 calories per day. Which is still pretty generous by most people's standards but he will find it hard if he is used to significantly more.

Social support is a must, and he will need to pay very close attention to his habits as it is likely he will revert to old habits unless he replaces his old habits with new ones. Perfect time to start a hobby really, too much spare time isn't good when you're hungry!

Hi Graham,

If you are injury free then I suggest a a combination of strength training and cardio at the gym.

Great exercises are

Deadlifts

Squats

Bench Press

Military Press

Bent Over Rows

Chin Ups/Lat Pulldown if you can't do chin ups.

I strongly suggest learning those exercises and refining them. There's a lot of crap that tries to make exercise complex but the majority of it is simple. I'm taking a bit of a guess with your question, I'm assuming you'd like to add a little muscle whilst losing fat to get the 'athletic look' as many men do. Please correct me if that is not the case.

I will actually share with you what I am currently right now in my own training, to illustrate that simple is good! Even when you've been training for years. (It's always known as the 'one lift a day' programme, Dan John wrote a good article on it. Worth reading)

Sunday: Squats

Monday: Bench, I add in some face pulls for good measure too.

Tuesday: A day off for me, so I stay out of the gym

Wednesday: Deadlifts

Thursday: Military Press

Friday: Bent Over Rows and a few sets of chin ups too.

Saturday: Off

It's often less than 40 reps per day but those reps get a lot of focus and I put up quite a lot of weight on them for that reason. The advantage of this type of programme is that you don't have lots of movements to learn, you learn the best ones well instead. And 40 reps after getting in the gym you can get on a cardio machine and burn off some calories.

Tee,

Welcome, I'm glad you found what you were after.

Theo

im 25 and jus started at the gym, lik most ppl bit self conscious, im lookin into losing weight n getting toned up so ive made myself a programme to start with, do u think if i keep workin hard at it that will help me or is there too many things going on, i wud also lik advice on the best sort of protein shakes out there, my diet at the min consists of

breakfast - scrambled egg

lunch - chicken salad

tea - chicken and veg

water and fruit

mon/thurs - back and biceps and abs 6 different exercises each

tues/fri - shoulders and chest and abs 6 different exercises each

wed/sat - triceps and legs and abs 6 different exercises each

im also looking into doing core workouts but again wud that be too much?

thanks alot.

Hi I have recently lost 4 1/2 stone which I am really pleased about and currently weigh 11st at 5ft 2''!! although I would like to lose a little more maybe 1st, I am left with a flabby belly legs and arms, but its my belly that bothers me the most. so much so that im considering surgery, but before that I wanted to know if its possible to banish the stomach flab with exercise? ive been told in the past it wont!! so I would like opinions from personal trainers.

thank you for reading this.

Sarah x

Hey Neil,

Thanks for your question. You are doing a LOT of things right!

Your diet is high in protein and fibre, appears to be low in calories and you are lifting weights. Very strong start. Protein shakes are helpful but not essential. I use and recommend myprotein, this is simply because they are generally flavoured well and they are cheap. For the most part, whey is whey, casein is casein. The ingredients don't differ much so go cheap.

You appear to be training abs several times each week, what would your core sessions be adding?

Keep doing what you're doing and you will see results. When results slow keep everything the same for 6 out of 7 days and add a re-feed day on the remaining day. A refeed day is a day of more calories and high carbohydrate intake. Only use when results have stalled for 2 weeks or more despite doing everything else right.

Good luck!

Hi Sarah,

Thanks for your question. I'm not an surgeon so take my advice with a pinch of salt but I'll share my observations.

This is a 'yes AND no' answer. The remaining fat that you have CAN be lost with diet and exercise but if the skin is saggy afterwards then you may need surgery for this. It seems a lot of people seek surgery long before they reach their target weight which can be a bit of an error as it may need to be redone at a later date when more fat is lost. Exercise can, to a degree, help as it improves muscle tone.

'Flabby' probably doesn't require surgery, 'saggy' possibly does. 'Flabby' probably means further weight loss might be wise before considering surgery, you could always consult a surgeon anyway, they'll tell you what you should do.

Well done on your progress so far and I wish you the best for your future efforts! Let me know if there's anything else.

-Theo

Hi Neil;

I agree with Theo that you are doing a lot of things right and I would like to add just one more thing.

Trick your body. Don't stay too long on the same routine.

Do you have a personal trainer helping you to put the program together or you did by yourself?.

Best of luck

Hi Graham;

It's nice to see that you really want to improve yourself.

A few tips to keep you injury free and keep going on your training:

1. Warm up before any training. Sounds obvious but a lot of people forget to do it.

2. Start slow and grow in weight and repetition as your body improves. Do more than you can will only cause you pain and cut your training short.

3. Cardio is good but you need to make sure your heart and joins are in good condition.

Base line, know yourself and your limits to avoid doing more damage then good to your body.

Last but not least, trick your body. Don't stay too long on the same routine.

Best of luck