Content: Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Background: White Slate Blackcurrant Watermelon Strawberry Orange Banana Apple Emerald Chocolate Marble
Pattern: Blank Waves Notes Sharp Wood Rockface Leather Honey Vertical Triangles
Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk Fitness Forums

Welcome to Fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk - Fitness forums and community. Discuss topics such as fitness, nutrition diet and lifestyle. You're currently viewing fitnessandlifestyle.co.uk as a guest. Members can communicate with members all over the world by starting new topics and posts in the forums so sign up now. Its free to register!

Theo M. Whittington

Ask Me Anything

What was your question about (please answer)   43 members have voted

1. 1. What was your question about?

Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

57 posts in this topic

Hi,

I am just starting out, I have had three children and gained quite a lot of weigh and then lost it after each pregnancy. The elasticity of my skin has really suffered so I am trying to gain muscle to hold everything in place better and give my skin a more firm appearance. Right now I am doing a lot of walking, eating clean and doing weights - arms and chest, abdominals and then legs and glutes on alternating days. I find that if I eat over 900 calories a day I gain fat weight like crazy and apparently I should be eating more than this to gain muscle. Do you have any tips?

Thank you :)

Hi Charlotte,

I suggest tracking your calorie intake very closely for a week, measuring and weighing everything that you eat and drink. 900 calories is a very low intake for you to be gaining weight (or even maintaining your weight) so I suspect that you may be miscalculating. Could you provide me with your current weight and height? This will give me a clearer picture of the situation so that I can help you better.

Cheers,

Theo

There are lots of questions and so little time at the moment! I know I haven't contributed on the forum for a while now but I want to change that. I'm going to be concentrating on this thread so that I can at least help out a bit on here!

So it's like the name suggests, if you have a question about adding muscle, losing fat, getting ripped, getting stronger and other related topics then please do let me know your questions and I'll be with you as soon as I can.

So... Ask me anything!

Hi Theo,

I am a 27 year old female, 5ft 3 & just under 10 stone. I am trying to build muscle, get fitter and lose fat. I have been having more protein in my diet and make sure I eat the right foods before and after work outs. My problem is that even though I am doing lots of exercise, I am still hungry all the time and I cannot seem to lose fat unless I am eating next to nothing and feeling constantly hungry. I try to eat healthily and make sure I eat eggs, chicken, fish, veg, salad, fruit, etc. Sometimes I end up eating some treats but I try to limit myself. I have carbs as part of my diet as I think that is important. I don't have a clue where I could be going wrong. I don't want to starve myself to lose weight as it effects my concentration and I want to be making good changes in a healthy way. I generally do a lot of cardio & weights at the gym (with rest days for recovery). At the moment, as I am so hungry, I think I am eating too much but when I cut down on my food I am still hungry so I am in a difficult situation as hunger appears to be a problem, even if I am eating foods that are meant to 'keep you full for longer'. Oh and I drink loads of water too.

I have issues with my heart rate also on some machines in the gym. It will go from a steady pace of 130-140 and then sky rocket very rapidly to 190-200, which I stop when it gets that high as I feel I could be doing more harm than good. Tried speaking to my doctor about my heart rate but not had any help from the GP, they just advised to do even more exercise than I do. I wonder if I have any problems with my heart rate increasing very quickly all of a sudden. My friends have witnessed the heart rate going up when I work out while they are next to me and their heart rate doesn't do the same so it's not faulty machines.

Any help you may have would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Louise

Hi Louise,

I'm afraid I can't say much about your heart rate. 190-200 is probably about the maximum heart rate that you can achieve. What are you doing to get your heart rate to that level? If this is spontaneous and you're not doing anything then I would be concerned. If it's from hard exercise then I wouldn't worry. Have a look here for more information, I can't advise you on this as I'm not a MD. http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Heart-palpitations/Pages/Introduction.aspx

As for your eating, it's good that you're making better food choices. Tomorrow, record what you eat and tally up your calories and post it here. I'll be able to give you a better response once I know how much you're eating.

Theo

Hi - I'm looking for some advice on whether I should be using supplements?

Approx 1 year ago I weighed 146kg and I'm now down to 118kg and I've just started the "Insanity" program and visit the gym 3 - 4 times a week. Lately I have started to feel a bit sluggish and quite tired and have been told I should be on some type of recovery drink? Whilst I dont have any problem doing this I am very concious what I put in my body and wouldnt want anything that will make me gain weight. Could you recomend a product or do you think I should just try and push through?

Thanks

This is me before and after using "customized fat loss" by kyle leon , link here (link removed) , i had to try the program myself so I was able to help others. My weight loss was quick and easy. I now have more energy and I feel amazing.

now i let you discover the product by your self , good luck.

john

picture attached.

post-12213-0-93197500-1398653890_thumb.j

Edited by Theo M. Whittington

This forum is for the sharing of information and advice, not affiliate links. Don't do it again.

Hi All!

Just after a bit of advise really. A couple of years ago I dropped just over 5st, and now weigh a healthy 10st 12lb. I am a 40 year old male. Since loosing the weight I have got a massive interest in fitness, and would love to turn this passion in to a career so I can help others achieve their goals. I just wondered if anyone else has made such a career change (as this would be a massive career change for me!!)? I would love to hear of any success stories, together with any advise you may have?

thanks in advance

Rich

Hey Rich,

Haha I could write a book with all of the information I wish I'd known when I was starting out! Email me at info@tmwfitness.co.uk, tell me your story and what you're hoping to get out of it (full time business, part time earner etc) and I'll see what I can help with ;)

Theo

Hi im currently looking for ways to lose weight!

I am 23 years old, male, 6 foot 3 and weigh roughly 17-18 stone

I play five a-sides once a week and I am currently starting football training twice a week.

I have a cycling machine available in the house.

Is there any supplements that would help me achieve my goal?

Thanks

Hi Theo,

I have just signed up to the Gym. I am an 18 year old who's recently started playing rugby and since the seasons finished and I have been holed up in my room doing revision ever spare moment I've put on a bit of body fat recently. My goals of joining the gym really are to trim up,and turn this extra bit of body weight into muscle rather than fat. I am not too bothered about becoming ripped , and having ultra defined muscles, I general just want to become a little more toned and build muscle size and strength, are there any tips you can give as to how I would go about achieving this? For example, would I benefit from doing circuits that work all of the major muscles groups when I go to the gym or work more on doing smaller circuits that work specific groups so having an 'arm day' followed by a 'back day'?

Thanks

Matt

Makie,

Forget supplements for now. Focus your efforts on reducing your food intake and eating a diet of mostly whole foods. Eating less is the most efficient way of losing fat, exercise is brilliant but it doesn't burn as many calories as many like to believe.

There are many good supplements including proteins, legal stimulants and creatine but these don't do the job of proper nutrition.

Matt,

I suggest keeping it simple, you needn't have an arm day and a back day etc. Learn and use these exercises

Deadlift

Squat (or lunge/or both)

Bench (or press up)

Chin ups (or lat pulldown)

Shoulder press

and also look at an exercise called 'face pulls' it's a great exercise.

Do those, pick a rep range.

3 sets of 10

5 sets of 5

3 sets of 6

All work pretty well. Those movements are compound movements, that means they use multiple joints and so build more muscle and burn more fat than exercises like wrist curls or calf which only use one joint. Big exercises, big payoff!

Circuits are one option, the other is a slower paced session of strength training. You'd do well to do a bit of both. Strength training tends to add more muscle but circuits help improve your work capacity and help you to lose fat so use them both for best results.

Keep your diet the same for the first few weeks, if you don't start looking better then cut out some food but it may be that you don't need to.

I hope this helps chap. Good luck.

Theo

you really do need like a protean shake or to eat more protein and take more carbs to give you the energy i no in gymnastics after working out the coach would advise to eat a banana after every workout as it replaces the iron in ur body that you lose in ur sweat

Hi - I'm looking for some advice on whether I should be using supplements?

Approx 1 year ago I weighed 146kg and I'm now down to 118kg and I've just started the "Insanity" program and visit the gym 3 - 4 times a week. Lately I have started to feel a bit sluggish and quite tired and have been told I should be on some type of recovery drink? Whilst I dont have any problem doing this I am very concious what I put in my body and wouldnt want anything that will make me gain weight. Could you recomend a product or do you think I should just try and push through?

Thanks

Hi, I'm new to this and I've recently began exercising every other day doing chin ups, press ups and sit ups at home, I was wondering if every other day is the right way to do it, and if not, how often should I do it? Also how often should I increase the amount of reps I do? I'm looking at using this to build up muscle over the long term as I don't have enough money for a gym membership. Thanks.

Hi Johnny,

In short, no. You don't need protein shakes. They do have their uses but they're not essential. The same goes for glucose drinks and gels, they can help for endurance events but they're far from essential. I don't know if you're mistaken about what your coach said but bananas are a poor source of iron and you lose a very, very small amounts of iron through sweat. Losing blood causes iron loss however.

Hi Gingerguy,

Every other day should work fine, increase the number of reps when you are able to. If you can do a high number of reps then you need to add more weight.

Hope that helps lads.

Hi there,

I have literally just signed up to the forum after weeks of building myself up to even google the word fitness! I am utterly clueless and have never set foot in a gym in my life. For some background, I'm 25 years old, 5 foot 6 and currently weigh 10.5 stone. I have spent the last 2 years fighting cancer and have finally been given the all clear. As you can imagine, working out hasn't even been a factor in my life during this time. However, I have put on about a stone in total due to simply spending most of my time resting/recovering from treatment and being ordered to keep still! Now that I've got over all of the emotions of my treatment, I've started to look at my body again and it isn't pretty! I feel quite ashamed and totally self conscious. I put all my weight on around my stomach, it looks ridiculous as I have skinny arms and legs and then a huge tummy! I also have no hips so it just sticks straight out front rather than on my sides. My 3 yr old niece asked if I was pregnant with twins, you have to laugh!

I honestly don't know where to start. I've been ill so long, the most I'd done was a short stroll around a ward in 2 years. It's all I could manage. Lately I've been out for gentle 20 minute walks but that's it. I live in a remote part of Scotland and have zero access to a gym so I don't really know what I should be doing with myself. There are lots of connecting country pathways around here so I thought walking/cycling might be a good start but I don't know if I'd even last a mile! Also the terrain is very flat and I imagine hills would help! Running is not for me as I'm naturally very large chested and find it so uncomfortable. Would home fitness DVD's help me out or would that be madness when I'm so unfit?! Basically, I want to lose the weight/tummy (or even some of it) but more importantly, I just want to get my fitness up a bit. I'm not looking to run a marathon or win a medal but I'm sick of feeling weak and I want to be able to comfortably go for a bike ride with my boyfriend or hillwalking on the weekends. I'd just quite like my life back but am finding it hard to confide in people I know. Everyone tends to brush it off and just tell me how great I've done and not to worry about it. It doesn't really help me to be honest although I know they have wonderful intentions. I would be so grateful for any advice at all on how to begin or what exercises I can do from home that might help me improve my currently awful body shape!

Hi Theo, I posted the question below in the general section then saw your post, timing couldn't have been better :)

I'm looking for help / advice for my wife as she's getting really down in the dumps over her weight loss and I'm stumped.

After our last baby my wife went into fitness overdrive to lose the weight she'd gained during pregnancy. All was going well and she'd lost a couple of stone and seen positive results. As she got fitter she started to push even harder, in addition to the 3 x Metafit, Insanity and Circuit weekly classes she started doing the T25 beachbody routine 5 nights a week.

In the last 3 months (up until 3 weeks ago) since we've started recording weekly weight loss & body measurements she's went from 74kg to 71kg, 43% body fat to 40% body fat and was losing inches all round. Her daily calorie intake is around 1400-1600 calories and she's burning between 400-700 calroies a day depending on exercise so a +/- 30% calorie deficit based on her 1400calories BMR.

So far so good and even though her weight loss has been slower than she would like I've said it's because she will be building muscle, even some weeks if she hasn't lost weight her body measurements have shown she has came down in size.

However, the last 3 weeks, she has actually put on weight, back up to 73.5kg. Her diet hasn't changed, her workout routine hasn't changed so to say she's miserable is an understatement.

I know weight loss is better if it's gradual but her's is glacial!! She's a beast exercising as well and is really pushing herself I just wish her weight loss could speed up a bit as it's really getting to her.

Thanks for any advice.

There are lots of questions and so little time at the moment! I know I haven't contributed on the forum for a while now but I want to change that. I'm going to be concentrating on this thread so that I can at least help out a bit on here!

So it's like the name suggests, if you have a question about adding muscle, losing fat, getting ripped, getting stronger and other related topics then please do let me know your questions and I'll be with you as soon as I can.

So... Ask me anything!

Hi, I run regularly. But off late I am putting on weight. I was thinking whether interval running would be better as it seems my body has got adjusted to the long distance running routine. And if interval running is a good idea, could you please suggest a proper planning for it?

Hey all,

I've been busy and haven't come to this forum in a looong time as a consequence. I'll answer your questions now, I hope you're all still on the forum and doing well with your goals.

Lanny,

First of all congrats on your all clear! That's great news.

Secondly, physical improvement will come with your own athletic improvement. Do not worry that you are not doing enough. A very important principle in exercise programming is that you should only do as much as you can recover from. If you recover from a stress, you get stronger. If you don't you get weaker or progress at a much slower rate as recovery takes longer.

I completely understand your feelings. Sympathy and encouragement only go so far and if you want something different, it doesn't really make you feel any better!

I would suggest walking would be a good start but from there, there are many body weight exercises that are very effective. Being large chested will make some of them unsuitable but here is a list of exercises that might help. You will have to google them yourself Im afraid though as I don't have time to link to each.

Press ups (from the knees)

Planks

Squats

Supermans

Crunches

Reverse crunches

Inverted row

These are all fairly basic exercises although they are certainly challenging. If you were to do 2 sets of as many reps as possible for each exercise, you'll quickly feel stronger. Not only that but as you get stronger you'll be able to get more reps which will allow consistent progression for a few months at least.

Sorry for the long delay, I hope that you're still well and continuing to better your health!

-Theo

Slydog,

I imagine this has resolved itself by now, I hope it has. Unexplained weight gain is pretty common and can be caused by a number of things such as constipation, menstrual cycles, a large meal (not just in calories, even water has weight while it's still in your stomach) or a high carbohydrate diet. If she has switch from a low-carb to high-carb diet suddenly then that will likely be it.

If it doesn't resolve itself, you could contact your doctor and ask for a blood test. Hypothyroidism can cause a slow rate of weight loss and even weight gain if it is particularly bad. This is because it disturbs the body's normal energy expenditure.

Well done on knowing your numbers, it really is the way to go.

Apologies for the late reply, if you have any follow up questions please let me know. I'll be responding to questions much more frequently now.

Best of luck

-Theo

Joanna,

People in the industry argue about this one, even at a high level. My take on it is that both types are similarly effective and I would even suggest that distance running is in fact more effective for the majority of people.

If you choose to do interval training, I would suggest that you follow the common Tabata protocol which involves 20 seconds of work and 10 seconds of rest repeated 8 or more times.

It is just a tool however, don't expect miracles from it. Personally I like intervals for 'working out' and steady state for commuting, but not everyone has the luxury of working close enough to do that.

Best of luck with your efforts, if you have any follow up questions please let me know.

-Theo

Hi, thanks for making this thread.

I started out exercising recently and I noticed that my joins are quite bad. A lot of popping and clicking, i can feel it in my shoulders and arms when i lift weights. I started taking additional calcium vitamins for healthy bones and joins, but wondering, is there anything else that i can/should do? Somehow i feel that taking vitamins just won't cut it for me.

Many thanks!

Hi, I am new to the forum and came across this thread. I am looking for tips for evening workouts, I can't seem to get myself out of bed to workout before I have to start work so it has to be the evening. I just find I don't really feel like I have the energy to get started - any tips?

Hey everybody and Happy New Year!

May 2016 be more successful for all and bring is more happiness and health! Don't forget to love yourself as you work towards your goals!

I am here to read and learn. I can see Theo gives a lot of invaluable feedback on working out and specific strategies, which is great.

Thank you, Theo for the time and efforts to help the people here!

Hey Theo!

Can you please recommend any specific exercises for core strengh? Thanks in advance.

Hi guys. 

I hope you're all keeping well. I've been super busy over the last few months in opening and running a gym and launching a new service so apologies that some of your questions are pretty late in receiving a reply. 

Thanks for your kind words Allicia, core exercises are funny in that it's the way you perform them more than the exercises themselves that give the most benefit. 

Crunches, reverse crunches, planks, supermans, hyperextensions and an wheel rollouts are all fantastic exercises. A two second pause at the top of crunches and reverse crunches as well as ensuring you perform the full range of motion is key to getting the most out of the exercises. 

Supermans and planks are simple but good form is a must to getting the full benefit. Ab wheel rollouts require that the abs are engaged and crunched slightly throughout to keep the focus on the ab muscles. 

Olivia, the truth is that none of us instantly have the energy to get started. It's a grind to start with but you create the energy you need by doing it when you don't want to. You'll build your discipline and tolerance to it and once you have the momentum it is much easier. You've just got to overcome the initial inertia. It is the hardest part but you can do it ;)

Collateral Diarrhea, 

You should definitely look at a new username! As for joints popping and clicking, if it doesn't hurt then don't worry about it. It's not usually a problem. The best defence against bad joints is good supporting muscles so I'd suggest doing what you can to strengthen the area with movements that don't cause you pain. 

-Theo